Curtin & Heefner LLP provides aggressive representation to local governments, municipal authorities, non-profits, property owners, businesses and grassroots community groups in protecting their environmental interests. We regularly serve as special counsel to public sector clients, particularly in connection with projects that pose a threat to communities’ environmental interests. Our environmental attorneys are leaders in the field and provide strategic advice and effective advocacy to best meet the needs of our clients. Our services include:
Environmental Hearing Board
Our environmental attorneys regularly appear before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board in connection with appeals from decisions of the Department of Environmental Protection. We are frequently involved in precedent-setting cases that shape EHB and DEP decision-making standards.
Our lawyers regularly appear before municipal bodies on behalf of municipalities and property owners in connection with proposed large-scale land use projects. We advocate for our clients in connection with land development applications, variances, special exception and conditional use proceedings. We serve as solicitor and special counsel to public sector clients, assisting them with ordinance drafting, conducting hearings, negotiations, and all phases of litigation.
Litigation and Appeals
Curtin & Heefner attorneys litigate environmental and land use claims in state and federal agencies and courts, from pre-trial proceedings, through trials and appeals. Our appellate practice is recognized as a state-wide leader, particularly in connection with land use, municipal, and environmental matters.
Representative Environmental Matters
- Successfully challenged constitutionality of state Oil & Gas Law on behalf of municipalities, residents and an environmental organization, obtaining landmark ruling establishing importance of the PA Constitution’s Environmental Rights Amendment.
- Successfully defended validity of municipal ordinance limiting location and impacts of industrial land uses.
- Successfully represented small rural municipality in Zoning Hearing Board proceeding initiated by large multi-national corporation.
- Successfully represented residents in Environmental Hearing Board proceeding challenging a DEP permit to land-apply sewage sludge near neighbors’ water wells.
- Assist municipalities in updating ordinances to comply with state constitutional and statutory requirements.
- Assist municipalities and landowners to address large-scale pipelines, transmission lines, power plants, and other industrial activities.
- Assist municipalities and property owners in all aspects of local, state and federal permitting and enforcement.